Waking Fire Fifth Week Update

It’s been an exhausting week!

The kids are back to school and instead of having more time to write, I seem to have less time to finish anything. How is that even possible?

Nonetheless, I am making progress. Waking Fire stands at 47,789 words and I’m working my way through the final five chapters. (oh my!) I’m really excited about how much I have written in August but unfortunately, I will not be completing the first draft by the 31st as I had originally planned. I’ve set a new goal of completing the first draft September 8th.

Still… I’m happy. When I set out to write this book, I sort of expected that I’d fall into the same trap I encounter with every book I try to write – I’d get bored, fed up, lost, misdirected, or all of the above and simply give up.

Good news of the week – the wireless issues that plagued us last week now appear to be resolved. It took not only a new wireless router but also a visit from our internet provider to sort out the issues. Since then (knock on wood) there have been no problems.

The kids and I joke that our house is inhabited by the ‘Ghost of Bob’ because every so often, the toilet will have a mind of its own and flush. It will go months without doing it and then bam, there’s the Ghost of Bob we’ll say! Well, I suspect Ghost of Bob is getting bored playing around with the toilet and decided to find new ways to let us know he’s around…

Last night, in the middle of typing Chapter 16, my laptop shut down! It’s a relatively new machine and has had pretty much no issues up to this point. Most of the time when I use it, I have it plugged in but last night I used the battery. I couldn’t have been writing more than an hour when a battery that had been fully charged one moment, gave out with no warning the next. Zap!

The End!

For a few minutes, I thought I lost everything on Scrivener. Wow, that would be beyond heartbreaking. Thankfully, it’s all there. (And a backup has since been created) I did have one minor unexplainable glitch which I’ve managed to fix but otherwise, sigh of relief… I didn’t lose anything.

That was a close one!

Perhaps Ghost of Bob is not impressed with the new direction this story has taken? Well, too bad, I say. I’m going to continue on anyway and if it’s truly so awful, no big deal. That’s what the rewrites are for, right? We’ll fix it next month.

And then… the dryer just went belly. If it’s one thing… it’s another.

Anyway, thanks for sticking with me on this crazy whirlwind adventure. I’ll be back next week with a new update which will hopefully say I’m so close to crossing that finish line I’ve been eyeing up so long now.

Happy Day!

 

Waking Fire Begins in August

Where did the summer go? August is here and the haze and humidity of late summer brings new writing adventures. I’ve been daydreaming, planning, and outlining the first book in my new series for quite some time now but because of prior commitments, I wasn’t able to devote the time to start writing until now.

I  completed a seven-page outline by the end of July, just in time to roll up my sleeves and get cooking. It’s kind of like Nanowrimo, except a lot lonelier. You know, instead of the comradery of completing lofty word goals as a collective group, I’m standing alone in an empty chamber listening to my voice echo off the walls. “Anyone there?”

Nonetheless, I’ve attempted to create a progress bar which should be on display on the right hand column of my blog. (If it’s not, well, something apparently went wrong with the gobblety gook, as I so affectionately term the computer language, or my ability to update the tracker. Either is just as likely.)

The series is still untitled but I’m hoping the writing will spark ideas. The working title for the first book is Waking Fire. At the time of writing this post, I’m not in love with that title but it’s growing on me.

My goals for the month are ambitious. I have set out to write at least 60,000 words before the 31st. I figure if I average 3,000 words per day (which is totally doable when I follow an outline and a clear path) during a normal five-day work week, I should finish in time. Of course, I say this overlooking the fact that the kids won’t start school until the end of the month. Inevitably, life will throw wrenches at me and my foolish plans. (ha) Whichever way the wind blows, however, look for updates on the story progress once per week, on Wednesdays.

So far, I’m only on day two. Enthusiasm and optimism are still high. I’ve completed the first two chapters with 6,343 total words combined and I’m eager to jump into chapter three but holding myself back because I don’t want to burn myself out in the first week. The fact that I’ve thought so much about the characters helps a lot. It’s almost a relief to finally get it all down on the page.

I’m well known for diving into stories with great gusto only to run out of steam somewhere around the middle, completely lost. There are so many stories I once loved that now sit on my computer abandoned and unfinished.

This time, I’m determined to keep that from happening. Even if the story gets a little muddled or takes longer to write than I hope, I’ll keep pushing forward and shove those perfectionist tendencies back in the closet where they belong, hidden behind the winter coats. They can come back out later when it’s time to crack the knuckles and start rewrites in September.

So, until next Wednesday… Back to Writing!