I Plead Insanity

I plead insanity.

After a sleepless night, I’m trying to remember why it was such a great idea to get a puppy and I can’t come up with anything other than I must have been insane. Our little bundle of fur is thirteen weeks old today. He’s spent four weeks of his life with us and we’ve been pretty good about setting up a consistent routine, as much as we can manage being summer and all. So why, oh why, did he suddenly decide that instead of going into his crate and sleeping, like he’s always done every other night, that he would stay awake crying, whining, and barking? All. Night. Long.

By 5:30 this morning, I got up and shooed him outside, a little too late to get sleep, but if I didn’t get a break from the barking then I was going to start screaming and/or do something I’d later regret. I’m not exactly brimming with patience, you see, and it’s taking everything I’ve got to manage him during the day as it is. I need those precious nighttime hours to recuperate and if I don’t get them, gosh darn it, I am not going to be a girl you want to face in the morning.

So then, what are we doing wrong? Is it just a one-off bad night with quieter nights ahead?

Oh, darling doggie, curled up and sleeping peacefully as I type, don’t you get it into your head that I’m going to let you sleep all day. Ooooooooooooooooooh no…. I have very different plans for you today. If we’re going to make this thing work then things will need to change. Don’t think those cute puppy dog eyes are going to change a thing either.

I can’t complain too much. As far as puppies are concerned, he’s been pretty good so far. As long as he doesn’t potty in the house (so far, so good) and he doesn’t eat the children (still working on that one) then I consider it a good day. The icing on the cake would be no barking but well, he is a dog, and I understand sometimes it’s going to happen. I like to think I’m pretty easy-going for the most part. I didn’t even freak out when muddy paws raced across my kitchen…

But this nighttime thing is a different story. I need my sleep. No other way around it.

If you don’t see me around, it’s because I’m taking the dog for a walk or chasing him back and forth in the backyard. (That would be a sight to see, I’m sure.) The writing will get done, eventually, but first things first… I must secure a good night sleep ahead or Mr. Doggie’s days are numbered…

Gosh darn it, why does he have to be so cute though??

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “I Plead Insanity

1. MonaKarel says:

Hi Stephanie.
    Tired puppies make happy mommies. Unless your little bundle of energy had something temporarily wrong (slightly upset tummy, say) you’re going to need to ramp up his exercise. You might try tying bags onto a lunge whip to make a yard lure. If he’ll chase it, you can run his little legs into stumps and get some more sleep for yourself. Most nights mine sleep just fine but once in a while they hear things on the wind and want to go investigate.

• stephanieingramauthor says:

Hi Mona! I’m glad that you posted this comment. Thank you! I wonder if perhaps he did have a bit of a tummy upset? We had to switch to a different brand of food due to issues with getting a new bag of the one we were using. He loved the new stuff but he was really hungry and ate it quickly. I wonder if the change combined with how quickly he ate and the heat gave him an upset? I guess we’ll see if he gets better with the food. In the meantime, we will definitely encourage plenty of exercise. My kids are pretty good at keeping him running. šŸ˜‰

• MonaKarel says:

You may have solved your own problem. Puppies really don’t do well with quick diet changes so he might have had a bit of gas upsetting him. Once they have learned about the “home base” of a crate, and have fallen into a routine, they generally don’t change without a very good reason. Speaking from more than 40 years raising dogs!

2. wordsfromanneli says:

Don’t give up on him. Our dog was the puppy from hell for the first six months and then she started to settle down. Now, five years later, she’s the sweetest, most lovable, and usually obedient dog you could imagine, and has been so for most of those five years. But the first few months??? I would NOT want to relive those! Good luck and hang in there.

• stephanieingramauthor says:

It’s hard to look into those eyes and give up on him, especially when he craves love and attention and will go out of his way for it. I knew I was in for a challenge and I certainly got one. hehe It’s very encouraging to know that your puppy turned out to be such a wonderful dog once she got through her puppy phase. Thanks. šŸ™‚

• stephanieingramauthor says:

I hear you on that one, Mae! I’ve had a cat for 15 years (and she’s still going strong!) and I wonder sometimes if I’m spoiled by how easy she is to care for. Then again, I remember what a pain she was as a kitten. I couldn’t even fold laundry in the same room because she kept attacking my clothes. lol And … she used to meow like crazy all the time!! Ah well, another crazy Ingram in the house, I suppose. šŸ˜‰

• stephanieingramauthor says:

You are the smart one, Christina! I think next time we’ll stick with adopting a rescue dog as well…. one that is still young enough to have energy to play, but well past that crazy puppy stage. lol šŸ™‚